RIYO HANGGORO PRASETYO
Riyo Hanggoro Prasetyo is a Partner, and the head of Intellectual Property (“IP”) and Entertainment Law Practice Group of the firm. Prior joining the firm, Riyo was working for various multinational law firms, i.e.: Suryomurcito & Co (an affiliated law firm to Rouse & Co. International LLP.); Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners (a member of Baker & McKenzie international); and Lubis, Santosa & Maulana Law Offices (currently Lubis Santosa & Maramis, Law Firm).
Riyo obtained his Sarjana Hukum (Bachelor of Laws) degree from the Trisakti University Jakarta, Indonesia in 2001 and a Master of Notary (M.Kn.) degree from the University of Indonesia, Indonesia in 2005.
Riyo has been admitted to the Indonesian BAR as an Advocate since 2008; and earned his IP Consultant License Practice in 2012. He is a member of Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI), and Indonesian Intellectual Property Consultant Association (AKHKI).
In Indonesian IP community, Riyo has been known as one of Indonesia’s reputable IP Litigator. He has more than 10-year experiences in IP practice and litigation. During that time, he has been handling more than 50 high-profile IP litigation and enforcement cases involving multinationals corporations.
In commercial litigation, he has also some successful experience handling corporate litigation cases with outstanding victory records. To this date, he still continues representing major clients in various high profile ongoing IP and commercial litigation cases.
Aside of being an Advocate, Riyo is also a bass player, marathoner and triathlete. His interest in music, film and sports inspires him and Panji Prasetyo, who is actually also a music and film producer, to establish an Entertainment Law practice group within the firm. Currently, this practice group has been assisting various clients from Indonesian creative community, particularly from music and film industries.
Riyo is also active in several professional and sport organizations. Riyo has been appointed as the head of Legal Aid and Advocacy division of Indonesian Intellectual Property Consultant Association (AKHKI); and a member of the legal committee of Indonesian Triathlon Federation; and legal coordinator of Triathlon Buddies Indonesia.
Specific Legal Experience:
Riyo’s Specific Legal Experience in general IP practice (non-contentious) includes:
- Providing legal advice on intellectual property (trademarks, copyrights, industrial designs, patents, and trade secrets).
- Carrying out trademark searches of the public records at the Trademark Office and in-house database records.
- Lodging oppositions/rebuttals on trademark matters at the Trademark Office.
- Attending recordal of assignments of right of address on trademark matters at the Trademark Office.
- Filing appeals against the Trademark Office’s decisions at the Mark Appeal Commission;
Riyo’s Specific Legal Experiences in commercial and general litigation practice includes:
- Handling criminal investigation at Indonesian Police;
- Handling criminal cases at the Criminal Court (as Defendant’s attorney);
- Handling civil claims based on breach of contract at the District Court;
- Handling civil claims based on tort at the District Court;
- Handling divorcement cases at the District Court;